* Kevin Gregg …. You suck! The guy throws forty pitches last night. And only fourteen of them were strikes. Five walks later, the Rays had dodged a bullet.
* Trevor Hoffman ….. you also suck! TH got bombed again last night and you have to think he is down to the wire.
* It sure took 2004 first rounder Neil Walker a long time to break his cherry but he slugged his first MLB dong last night and he made it count. His two run job off Ted Lilly in the 8th put Pitt over the top in a game that had about eight thousand in the stands.
* Oliver Perez has gone from a player with no value to a player with negative value as there is a cost associated with warehousing a disgruntled pitcher in the pen. Jeff Wilpon, it’s time to pink slip Oli.
* When is this Braves run gonna stop? Last night makes it 22 of 30 and in case you hadn’t noticed, Troy Glaus has turned into a run machine. With three more RBI last night, Glaus has knocked in 31 since the beginning of May.
* Big Extension Update: Under new mega-contracts, Josh Beckett has one win, Joe Mauer’s slugging is down .133 from a year ago and Ryan Howard’s OPS is about 150 points off his career mark.
* Count me among those who scratched their head ten months ago when Cincy GM Walt Jocketty traded for Scott Rolen. This was more a criticism of Rolen’s contract than his play. But Jocketty moved quickly to extend Rolen to a team-friendly deal and all the third baseman has done this season is mash. After two bombs last night, Rolen sports an OPS plus of 146 and it isn’t just a home cooking thing as Rolen’s road stats are much better than his Great American numbers.
* Lance Berkman has a pulse! But still nothing from Carlos Lee.
* Julio Lugo has eighteen hits this season and NONE of them have been for extra bases. So his isolated power is …… ZERO!
* Nobody knows about the guy because he throws eighth innings for KC but Blake Wood is good. Real Good. He throws 98 and is making guys look bad. He and Soria actually give the Royals a pretty good closing kick.
* Tough night for the Kung Fu Panda ….. 0-5 with two Ks and two double plays. The latter brings him within one of the MLB lead.
* It cost the Dodgers $7M to dump Juan Pierre in the White Sox lap this Winter but John Ely is paying them back in spades. Ely is the “afterthought” LA got back in the deal but the soft-thrower has now given the Dodgers six excellent starts since May 6.